Monday, April 28, 2008

The Vow

Taking it for granted,

Being too comfortable,

In a place where I feel I do not need you,

I strayed.

You called me many times,

I told myself that I must not leave you.

Yet my feet walked a different direction.

I desired to do what I wasn't doing.

I did what my selfishness wanted.

I thought I was safe

For I always played at the border.

I played with sparks, which started a small fire.

I enjoyed the warmth that it gave.

I knew what was coming,

Still, I chose to lay beside the fire.

When I awoke, the fire had surrounded me.

I knew it was coming.

I didn't call out to you, for I know I should be responsible.

I have forgotten your goodness while I struggled

With my own strength, I tried

I tried and tried, I pushed, I crawled,

I knew I needed your help.

Little did I know,

Your hands were always near me,

Ready to lift me from the flames.

For when I called your name, You saved me.

Then I remembered your words

"I will never leave you,

Nor will I ever forsake you"

I now know, this journey is not a short one.

Though I want it to be, I have to persevere.

The struggles are not short lived.

Though you have saved me from the flames,

I must keep myself from the matches that started them.

I am weak, but in you, I am strong.

No comments: